Wednesday, May 5, 2010

What sort of elected officials do you want?

I received a reply from Mr Kenneth Nelson regarding
my May 1 article entitled "What Will It Take."

Bear in mind that Mr. Nelson had the opportunity to
set the record straight if my article misunderstood
what he is about, but all he sent was the following:

From: Kenneth Nelson
To:
Subject: Iron County Doings
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 11:34:52 -0400

"FYI - the quote you referenced from the Reporter
article (in your May 1 blog titled "What Will it
Take?") was a "sound bite" pulled from a 40 minute
conversation I had with the journalist. You cannot
possibly know or understand in what context that
comment was made. Maybe your rush to attribute a
characteristic to someone without knowing or even
speaking to them is a sign of your "laissez faire
attitude". Incidentally, I intended to cast my
vote for you for school board (as it seems you
would be the best possible candidate) but was
unable to find your name on the ballot."

s-Kenneth Nelson

Either I got Mr. Nelson's attitude towards education
and the community right, or he really doesn't care
and simply wasted this opportunity given to him. It
seems likely that we know as much about Mr. Nelson
as is necessary. I'm already serving this community
by creating and running this publication. At my age
of 70, I have no inclination to run for any public
office.

I hasten to add that Iron County Doings associate
editor Ben Smith, under the sponsorship of this
publication, attempted to set up a Meet the
Candidates" session at the Bates Township Hall but
he was unable to raise enough interest among the
West Iron School Board candidates he contacted
during his efforts. Ben went so far as to discuss
the event on telephone time until it became apparent
that there wasn't much interest this election and
in an event to find out what the candidates have
to offer. Ben and I do what we can to promote a
positive future for Iron County, but we seem alone
in such efforts. I hear a lot of talk, but see very
little by way of action.

As I've said in the past, the community deserves the
people it elects, otherwise more people would run for
office, and there would be more of a spark and debate
over local issues. But we have far too many like the
ladies in that Rhinelander waiting room who have
lived here all their lives and have no idea who their
elected officials are let alone what is planned for
our future.

Is anyone else willing to step up and the force
changes necessary to improve out lives in Iron
County? The banner at the top of this publication
states: "We need better roads, to throw some reins
on local government. Things people are doing to
help our situation will appear here if they submit
the information to me." I was pleased to publish
"Straight Talk by John Menghini." Where's the next
article like that coming from? Come on, people!


Bill Vajk

No comments:

Blog Archive