Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The following email exchange took place this morning from
Ben Smith to the undersigned.


"John:
I will be very happy to advise my editor Mr. W. Vajk of the
different interpretation made in the posting concerning your
desire to retire from your position as City Manager for the
city of Iron River. In fact I'll forward this message to him at
this time

Best Wishes for a Happy Retirement
Ben

--- On Wed, 2/29/12, John Archocosky
wrote:


From: John Archocosky
Subject: retirement
To: "Ben Smith"
Date: Wednesday, February 29, 2012, 8:46 AM

Good morning Ben,



Kathy tells me that on Mr. Vajk’s web page it says that I
submitted my “resignation.”

I know that not many folks bother to read what is presented
there but for the few that do, I think it is important to get the
information correct.

I did not submit a letter of resignation, I actually advised
the Council of my decision to “retire”.

The word “resignation” suggest that I might be leaving for
reasons other than retirement. It could for example suggest
that I am leaving because of problems or issues between
myself and the Council. As you know, I have a great working
relationship with all the Council members, both past and
present.

I would appreciate it if that wording could be corrected.

Thanks, for your help.

JAA

John A. Archocosky, Manager
City of Iron River
906-265-4719 Phone
906-265-5776 Fax
www.IronRiver.Org

This message may contain confidential and/or proprietary
information and is intended for the person/entity to whom
it was originally addressed. Any use by others is strictly
prohibited."

To begin at the beginning, we have no idea why John
Archocosky is presently so enamored of words that
have no particular connotation. All the available
discussions on this topic make that statement very
clearly.

In fact, we determined to see just what the word
"resigned" means in the AmerEnglish language
today. To that end, your humble correspondent
plugged the following into internet's google search
engine:

define:resignation

Here's a screen shot of what came up for me:

If it isn't clear on your screen, here's what it says:

Noun 1. The act of retiring or giving up a position
2. A document conveying someone's intention
of retiring.

While we don't see any difference, it apparently means
something special to Mr. Archocosky, so we have
republished the exchange here in a public forum.

In the end, a resignation is a termination, and that's
all that happened. Mr. Archocosky has had his
public platform here once again. It is not the
intention of Iron County Doings to mislead anyone
so we've played into the Archocosky sensitivities
and, dare I say, drama.

It should be interesting to get an outsider in the
position of City Manager for Iron River. We are
looking forward to a future comparison of how
the city is managed while we remind the reader
that a city manager is supposed to minister to
the needs of the city council and the people, not
to establish policy that overrides the needs of the
people.

Bill Vajk

No comments:

Blog Archive