Saturday, June 11, 2011

Who Knew?

So there's a senior voucher system in place here
in Michigan funded by the Federal Government and
the State of Michigan with some spotty
participation by townships and counties.

Who knew?

I made the acquaintance of Michelle, the owner of
Strong's Restaurant on US 45 in Watersmeet. I
signed up for the senior voucher program and had
tonight's dinner there at the standard reduced price
of $3.75.

Here's their voucher program menu:



I had #7. It was a good feed.

Ordinarily I don't advertize for places of business,
but the senior voucher program is something I'd never
heard about and wouldn't have known about were it not
for the entrepreneurial spirit demonstrated by this
restaurant. The question arises "Why don't any of the
restaurants in Iron County participate?"

I asked Michelle how much paperwork was involved, and
she said it wasn't nothing, but was not extensive or
difficult. I can immediately think of a handful of
restaurants here in Iron County that, given our rapidly
aging population, could do very well with a program
like this, and in my opinion SHOULD be participating.

I can't think of any reason why participation has fallen
to zero in Iron County!

Let's spread the word and start applying pressure on
our local restauranteurs to get this program working
for us in Iron County. I'm thrilled that Strong's
Restaurant is busily doing it and wish the ownership
every success. But an even greater success could be had
if the program had more participants and our local
townships promoted and participated in the program.

Bill Vajk

No comments:

Blog Archive