Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Certification?

The Iron County Animal Control Officer is the
subject of several upcoming stories. This
article is another example of how the county
works.

I originally sent a Freedom of Information request
to Sue Clisch, the county FOIA officer, by email.
A couple of weeks went by with no response, so I
telephoned. The result of the phone call was a
statement that the request had not been received.
That's the last time I'll count on email to deliver
anything to Iron County

On May 20th I sent a copy through the US Postal
Service. You can read all the documents relevant
to this story in one spot by clicking here.

The text for my FOIA comes directly from Michigan
statute MCL 287.289b which you can read in the third
page in the link above.

On May 28th I received a reply that it would take
more time to provide the answers. It seems to me
that if the county is in compliance with the statute
the county should know it, and should have all the
information at their fingertips. It shouldn't take
research by a number of people and the associated
expense of such a search. It is the business of the
county to comply with the law and to know how and
when the law was complied with.

Is our dogcatcher in his position legally, or did
the county illegally waive the requirements imposed
on them by state law in order to hire the son of
the chairman of the county board of commissioners?

I await the answer to all these questions with baited
breath.

Bill Vajk

No comments:

Blog Archive