Friday, February 26, 2010

Retail Products - eggs

Part of the fun of living is observing and figuring
out things that aren't quite so obvious. A few years
back, while living in Illinois, I bought and weighed
two dozen eggs, one large and one extra-large carton.

The weight difference at that time was 1 ounce for
the entire dozen, and I stopped then and there
buying the extra-large eggs.

A few weeks ago I weighed eggs from Angeli's Central
Market with the following results:

Extra-large dozen 26.4 oz
per egg 2.2 oz

Large dozen 24.4 oz
per egg 2.0 oz

Medium dozen 22.0 oz
per egg 1.8 oz

By weight of product, if medium eggs cost $ 1.00, then the
relative value for large eggs is $ 1.11 and for extra-large the
relative value is $ 1.20.

Looks like I'll be buying the medium labeled eggs, as the best
value, for a while.

Oh, I probably should mention that we are working on some
other political stories, they just aren't ripe for publication
as yet.

Bill Vajk

No comments:

Blog Archive